Overview Of Role
Are you a talented Data Engineer with a passion for advancing the field of bioinformatics? We are seeking a skilled individual to join our team working on an innovative discovery platform, known as KnetMiner. KnetMiner transforms the integration of genomics, genetics, literature information into comprehensive knowledge graphs, empowering researchers with powerful tools to tell the biological story that links genes to traits and diseases.
As a Bioinformatics Data Engineer within the KnetMiner team, you will play a pivotal role in designing, developing, and maintaining the data infrastructure that underpins our platform. Your work will directly impact the ability of researchers worldwide to make discoveries in genomics and genetics. You will work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team of bioinformaticians, data scientists, and software engineers to create and optimize the data pipelines that drive KnetMiner’s knowledge graphs.
- Data Pipeline Development: Design and implement data pipelines to extract, transform, and load (ETL) biological and genomic data from various sources into Neo4j and RDF based knowledge graphs.
- Data Integration: Collaborate with domain experts to integrate diverse data types, including genomics, genetics, and literature information, into comprehensive knowledge graphs.
- Data Quality Assurance: Ensure the accuracy, completeness, and quality of data within KnetMiner’s knowledge graphs via dashboards and report generation.
- Performance Optimization: Continuously improve the efficiency and performance of data processing pipelines to support real-time data updates and rapid query response times.
- Data Security: Implement data security and access control measures for graph databases and APIs.
- Documentation: Maintain detailed documentation of data pipelines, data sources, and data transformation processes.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
- Proficiency in Python and Bash for data manipulation and automation.
- Familiarity with data modelling for biological data.
- Knowledge of various data types like RDF, JSON, and XML.
- Experience with ETL processes for data integration.
- Version control using Git.
Desired Skills & Knowledge:
- Familiarity with bioinformatics tools and resources.
- Experience with graph databases, specifically Neo4j and Cypher.
- Exposure to NLP and Machine Learning techniques and services.
- Basic understanding of Big Data technologies such as Spark.
- Familiarity with workflow management systems eg Nextflow.
- Enthusiasm for learning and contributing to bioinformatics projects.
If you are a Data Engineer who is passionate about leveraging data to drive innovation in genomics and genetics research, we encourage you to apply. Join our team and be part of a transformative project that is shaping the future of biological discovery.
Interested but not sure you tick every box? Research shows that some people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single criteria. At Rothamsted we are committed to building diverse teams so please apply even if your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the requirements – you might just be the perfect fit!
This is a fixed-term 3-year appointment in the first instance with a salary in the range of £29,842-32,315 p.a. with flexibility depending on experience.
As part of our flexibility to working arrangements, the institute operates a policy whereby regular homeworking arrangements can be considered. For any enquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Closing Date: 27 October 2023
Interviews: 7 November 2023
About The Company
Established in 1843, Rothamsted Research is one of the UK’s leading Research Institutes delivering world class agricultural science. Our commitment to learning and development, equality and diversity as well as creating a positive work life balance, enable a welcoming environment for all prospective employees. As part of our flexibility to working arrangements for our staff, the institute operates a policy whereby regular homeworking arrangements can be considered.
We have an attractive benefits package including 25 days annual leave, a generous pension scheme and an attractive campus offering cultural and recreational activities. Rothamsted Research values its commitment to equality and diversity in its workforce and we particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented within the organisation.