This is exercise 3 of 4.
We’re now going to select single or multiple genes and explore their gene-evidence networks, i.e. the information that links the genes with the search terms. Ensure that you are in Triticum Aestivum by checking the Multispecies selector at the top left of the website header.
Exercise 3 query:
dormancy OR germination OR color OR flavon* OR proanthocyanidin
|Gene List Search|
1. Copy the “Exercise 3 query” query above by pasting the “Keyword Search” into the Keyword search of the Wheat KnetMiner instance.
2. Copy/paste the Gene List Search from the table above into the Gene List Search on the interface (similar to on Figure 12).
3. In Gene View, focus on the MYB1 gene (TRAESCS3D02G468400).
Check its evidence column by clicking on individual shapes in the Evidence column, or clicking on the accession number (TRAESCS3D02G468400) to open the full network (Figure 1).
4. Create a network using MYB1.
5. Find the wheat gene of interest (blue triangle with a double border) in the network and follow the edges (paths/arrows) to the Arabidopsis ortholog (click on edges/links to view their Relation types).
6. Find the evidence path linking the Arabidopsis TT2 gene to seed maturation and seed colour.
7. Find the evidence path linking the Arabidopsis TTG1 gene to seed coat color and flower color. What is the supporting evidence saying here?
Note: Remember that you can also select more than one gene in Gene View, to create a Knowledge Network using multiple genes and find cross-connections between two or more.
Figure 1 – MYB1 gene on Chromosome 3D